Thursday, June 21, 2007

Walking Around

Prayer and Fasting Service was awesome today. Incense, psalms, 5 men in deep prayer. Not to slight my sisters, but we need more and more men to be strong and be strengthened.

Rosario and I went out to do some visiting, looking for families with kids to invite to our Family Fun Night this Friday. I had a particular house in mind, but then turned down the wrong street. Saw a house I had wanted to get back to and Roz said taking the wrong street was providential.

The fellow in the house is a guy I have talked to before. He said he doesn’t like church because there is so much evil in the world, and the church doesn’t really help. This guy is young, and he just had a defibrillator put in. “My lifestyle caught up with me, dude.” We talked about breaking past addictions, etc. Then I said something like, “well, it’s good that you are getting your body straightened out, but you need to take care of your soul. The body is only temporary, but the soul lives forever.”

“One thing at a time,” he said.

“That’s fine, but you have another heart attack and you’re not right with God, things will be hard.”

We got to talking about his issue with there being so much suffering. It’s the suffering of kids that gets him, apparently. “They’re too young to know anything, to have done anything.” We prayed for him to be healthy and to receive Christ. And then I challenged him to join us in good works, even if he doesn’t believe. I promised to pester him again. Maybe he will work with us and learn to love our Jesus.

One of the blessings of being at The Rock La Roca is that I get to walk all over the place when I do visits. I have taken to having meetings with people while we walk. We’re not going anywhere in particular; we have the meeting while we walk and we keep an eyeball on the neighborhood. We see streets, people and their lives that won’t get seen if we sit in our offices, or just keep driving down Limestone Street to the church.

No comments: