Saturday, June 02, 2007

Joann

During the visitation, a call came in. I took it in the hallway of the funeral home—it was Joann Hall, now Joann Wells. Joann was a little girl, I guess maybe 13 or 14 when we moved to Winchester. I knocked on her grandparents’ door, and she started coming to church, and hanging out with us at the house. She loved to help Melissa with John and later Joe. She liked to hang out with us, helping around the house.

Joann called because she got off work and was afraid she would miss the visitation. Would someone stay long enough for her to come? Sure, I said. So about 9:45, Joann came in with her husband. She cried a little bit and then told about how much she loved Melissa because Melissa loved her. Joann said Melissa would take her shopping with her, nothing special, groceries or whatever, get her a treat and they would have the best time. Joann said, “I always used to tell everyone she was my sister.”

What makes a 19 or 20 yr old girl you haven’t seen in 3 or 4 years show up, be so intent that she would come late, hoping someone would be there, because she could not get to the funeral? Melissa had that kind of effect, and it was on people who most of us will never know. She led a Bible study for the crisis pregnancy center, and I can only wonder what things passed between Melissa and the girls.

No comments: