Thursday, June 07, 2007

Savages

One day week before last, the boys were as usual down at the creek. It was pretty quiet down there, which means there was some plotting going on. I walked down there to dog-eye the situation, keeping back to observe unobserved. What a beautiful sight! Both boys were covered in mud. And since it’s mostly clay down there, they looked like little savages, which is what every little boy should look like! They had their little trailer in the water (it goes to a John Deere bicycle/tractor), hoping it would float so they could sail away. It’s that kind of imagination that you rue losing.

2 weeks ago, my father-in-law opened the pool and so they are in it constantly. They don’t care how long they stay in. Nothing can tempt them out. Eating is a nuisance to them at this point. All they want to do is swim.

This week, Melissa’s cousin Casey is staying with us while the rest of the family is in Washington, D.C., where my brother-in-law graduates from an FBI training course. They are loving life, but I think Casey may be traumatized, as they try take every advantage of her that they can.

There’s a lot of work to do in comforting them in small things, things that are probably not directly related to Melissa’s passing. And then there is paying attention to the sources of anxiety—reminding them that I am going to work, but will be back at such and such a time. Sad thing is, a distance can grow as I wonder how to handle things for myself.

Many, many people have been praying for us for so long. I would ask that those prayers continue, especially for the boys. I am not sure what the path ahead looks like, and so we will desperately need God to guide, and to listen to His guidance.

Most days, tho, they are busy being the little savages I love so much!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I have never stopped praying for you and your loved ones, my dear brother. By the Love of Jesus, you and your sons, who are destined to create Thunder in the Kingdom (you already know it deep in your heart) will make it. Tough days there will be but the rain and sun falls on all, bless His Holy Name.
I love you, buddy. I'm here if you need me, always.