Saturday, June 02, 2007

Lachrymoptera

I wonder why we didn’t build the butterfly garden before? Or why we didn’t start on it earlier? I mean, I know the answer; we did not want to take the time at the time. When Melissa was with us, our time was really pressed, and so we were either hanging out with her or the kids, or both. And then, there was the whole “when I get better” thing.

I don’t know if it’s nice or not; I am not much of a landscape designer. I like to plant stuff and dig in the dirt. A few years back, Melissa got us an armillary, one of those globe-like things with an arrow through it. I planted some clematis under it, to run up it. We always liked clematis. There’s marigold, coreopsis, coneflower, butterfly bush, verbena, marigolds, lilies, lavender, and an oleander. Some hollyhocks for the heck of it. Butterflies are showing up. There were two chairs her great-great aunt had in her garden that Sissy always wanted a place for.

The boys help me water it, and we always look for the butterflies. I wonder how that is going for them? They seem excited, they are glad to remember her when we see a butterfly, or see the garden. On some level, I know that part of the sadness of all this is that since she was gone for so long in the hospital, it probably has not completely sunk in that she is gone.

No comments: