Thursday, June 21, 2007

They See Me Rollin'

So I get this call from Pedal Power, a bike store downtown. “Pastor Mansfield, we have a bike waiting for you that someone has purchased on your behalf.” No way!

The Rozilhoffer and Dingo took me to get it, and I started worrying. They are always ruining me with practical jokes. Like just this morning, Dingo says, “hey, come look at this cute little box turtle. It’s right under that box.” I knew enough to know it was probably a snake, so I made him get it. Ended up being a loggerhead snapping turtle that could take your finger clean off. So I was convinced that this bike was going to be pink with flowers and a plastic horn. You just never know. You see how much I have been traumatized.

Anyhoo, I get there and meet the young salesman who handled everything. The donor wants to remain anonymous. Please accept my thanks, whoever you are! I love bikes, the idea of bikes, and just their elegance. This one is pretty nice—it has fat tires that roll easy and can hit dirt if you have to. The seat is back and low and the handlebars are higher than normal, so it rides really comfortable. Looks like a chopper. I guess I’ll call it my Harley Softail… The salesman, a young guy with dread locks said it was one of his favorite sales to handle.

It’s perfect, exactly what I was looking for. The bike was designed specifically for cruising around comfortably. I am looking to use it for making visits to far flung parts of the hood. I like to walk, to keep an eyeball on things, and you just can’t do it in a car, but the rubber on the wheels will take you farther than the rubber on the heels, as Muddy Waters says…

Also, I am going to get some baskets put on it so when the vegetables come in, I can carry lots of those around to the people I visit. I am really touched. Some pastors get a town car; don’t want one! I’m like a kid on Christmas, and I am very touched that someone thought enough of me to seriously help my ministry! God bless you, whoever you are.

No comments: