Sunday, July 01, 2007

Random Notes

After the evening service, I went back up to the garden. I had been there earlier, before the service, weeding.

Excursus: I have this theory about weeding. People do too much of it. You just take out the weeds around the plants, leave the rest. If you look at a weedy garden in a drought, the soil is still moist. But if you have a nice, tilled up soil, it will be dry. Weeds do two things: first, their roots plow up the ground, opening more space for air and water, which is what you’d use a tiller for. And they keep the moisture in the ground, which a tiller will cause you to lose once things dry up. But, to some people, weeds are a sign or personal failing, of immorality. If that’s true, then I’m a pervert. Sign me up.

Next time, we’ll think about doing what I used to do: sow soybeans and clover into the garden. Beats weeds, adds nitrogen, and you can mow it down and really set your compost heap off.

Ok, I’m back. So I was in the garden, getting an eyeball on what I might have to pick tomorrow. So far, it’s just peppers. The maters are still green, and the beans have not kicked in yet.

The garden is doing its fellowship job. I had a few good conversations while I was weeding. Well, after I took a look at the peppers, I saw Rebecca, Foti’s wife, on the porch. I went over and we talked for a few minutes. Foti is the Greek guy I argue with, but who still doesn’t kick me off his porch.

Anyway, Foti is in New York. Rebecca and I talked a little bit, and she told me how happy she is that I come by. She is a Christian, from India. She said, “It’s amazing. Foti does not like religious people. And he really hates preachers. But he likes you. Thank you for being his friend.”

“Well, Foti and I are a lot alike.” She raised an eyebrow. “I used to be an atheist. Serious about it, too. So maybe we have lots to talk about. We’re passionate about what we believe.”

“Yes, you have some things in common. He was very frustrated by how stubborn you are!” we laughed. “He is also interested that you are ok about your wife.”

“Yeah, I think he turned away from God when his mom died.”

We talked a little bit more about praying for him, about hoping he comes to Christ. I prayed for the family, had little Akhilleos on my lap. As I got up to leave, she invited me and the boys to Akhilleos’ birthday party. This is what you hope for—that you get let into their lives and make a credible witness for Christ. It is slow work, this kind of evangelism. But I think we’re starting to see some fruit. Maria has been in church 3 of 4 weeks now, and Fritz came, today, too. And then Greg stumbled in off the street tonight. At least he remembered where we are.

I walked down the street and saw Steve, a guy fixing up a house. We talked about the garden. He has only met me once and he said, “Man, I heard about your wife. I am really sorry. I lost my dad to cancer. You ok?” And I got to share the amazing consolation of the Lord. These folks amaze me. Who am I? But they keep up, know I am the preacher. Steve loves the garden. He told me the school won’t build until Fall of 08, so we’ll get another summer out of it.

4 comments:

Melissa K. said...

I love that our neighbors are becoming real people, with real stories. They're becoming our friends. I'm so thankful. I finally let Josh talk me into getting a puppy. I'm such a sucker. Puppies and kids are bridge builders...so chalk it up to Kingdom work!

DGH said...

this rocks my face off!

Unknown said...

Aaron, you emind me of how our Beloved Savior walked up and down the dusty roads of His day and touched their lives simply by His Presence. So much, I see Him in you. Perhaps you don't see it. Most people who walk as He did don't know it. That's why it works; their humility is still intact, or rather, their pride has gone south. Either way, it works and seeds are planted, and by the Lord Christ's will, they will grow, each in their own time and way. Of course, I am saying nothing you don't already know. Just know I agree with you in Him...Keep walking and talking, brother, for therein is the Kingdom...

Aaron said...

Melissa, don't tell Josh I said this, but he knows what he is doing...