Saturday, October 14, 2006

Growing Up Beige

I am hoping that more or the Congolese immigrants will come to the Rock tomorrow. There is so much potential for ministry under our noses... Wake up, Church! The world is coming to this nation, and we can send them back out as missionaries and supporters of Jesus' mission in their home countries!

When the World Cup was going on this summer, there were some interesting matches. I don't mean interesting in terms of soccer, but in terms of history. I was riveted to the Angola-Portugal match. Portugal was my team this year, but that match raised some difficult questions. Portugal ruled Angola until 1975 (I think; at any rate Angola's independence is recent). What are the emotions bound up in playing the "colonial masters?"

That phrase, "colonial masters," is tough. I first paid attention to it when Gaston Mukaz, a Congolese friend in Louisville used it to talk about the French. And then a family here used it about the Belgians. There's something disturbing about that phrase.

There are three Congos-- the former Zaire, now embattled Democratic Republic of Congo, Congo Brazzaville, and Congo Cabinda (taken by Angola). So much to learn, so much twisted history.

I guess it was Wednesday that I showed some of the Itoula family where the church is, and had a chance to talk to them about spiritual matters. At one point, one of the sons mentioned "Les blancs," "The whites." we can say so much in so little! Mostly it made me think of a humorous moment from childhood.

When I started Kindergarten, we lived on Cape Charles, on Virginia's Eastern Shore. It was an isolated radar station across the bay from Norfolk. My grandmother called me after the first day of school and asked how things went. Fine, I said. "And, Mimi, me and Cathy are the only beige kids on the bus." No way was I white!

Jim Grayson said, "give me directions to the church in Winchester." Here goes: If you get off at the second winchester exit on 64 from Lexington, head towards town, the church is on your left, just before you get to downtown. There is a large stone sign, "Trinity United Methodist." Come as you are! 6:30 each night, Sunday-Wednesday! The pastor is Eric Patterson, a great guy to know!

No comments: