Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Valediction: Forbidding Weeping

Today is our anniversary. And I guess you could say, “what a way to spend it.” But I'm not saying that. Not just because to do so would be counter-productive or depressing, but because it's not accurate. We've been married nine years, have two wonderful boys and for all the sadness and difficulty of the past 18 months, it doesn't compare to the love and friendship we have. I suppose that sounds too good to be true, or trite, or denial of reality. Of course, I wish that we never had to deal with all this. But if you let it take away who you are and what the Lord has given you, you have something worse than cancer.

So, while there is not world enough and time, I have found that the Lord redeems the past. And when this is the past, there will be plenty of time to get back what has been put on hold. And more than that: Melissa and I have never needed a special day. Each day has been enough on its own to reinforce the love and joy in our hearts.

Believe it or not.

1 comment:

Sandalstraps said...

Happy anniversary!