Wednesday, May 09, 2007

A-Game

Ministry at The Rock La Roca is always kaleidoscopic, sometimes fast-paced. You might have to change modes and gears very quickly. Yesterday was a prime example. I was going out visiting with Rachel Kochackis. Before we headed out, we prayed on the bus with the Goldenaires, a group of seniors, going on a trip up to Indiana. We drove by the garden so they could see it and we could talk a little about it. Then came the litany of what we needed: “Half runners!” was running neck and neck with “Greasy Grit beans!” Greasy grits are a mountain bean. If you read Kentucky Explorer, this time of year people are always asking for greasy grit bean seeds. I wonder how a variety becomes popular and spreads thru a region? What is it about it that definitively says, “Home,” “Old Times?”

So then Rachel and I hit the road and we have a series of productive visits. Rachel has a real heart to see the church do some practical things in the community while sharing the love of Jesus at the same time. So when she would ask someone what they thought needed fixing in the neighborhood, they just opened up. We hit one house where the lady was just floored that not only did we show up to talk about Jesus, but that we were also intent on being here, living here, doing life here. She and her husband have been out of church for years because they felt like they were hit hard by a harsh, legalistic church. Rachel told something she let go of at the altar with me, and I could see the woman’s eyes get big like, “You said that in front of a preacher? And he prayed for you right there? And he’s walking around with you now?” Then she hit us, “I was praying that someone would come. I know what this is. This is that Holy Spirit!”

So after a few of these visits, I see a woman pushing a stroller. She is dressed in African garb and I have to go talk to her! I catch up (Rachel broke her ankle and I had to leave her behind. I mean, she broke her ankle a few weeks ago. Not right then. Altho, I suppose to do some evangelism, she might have had to take one for the team. I’d do the same. If I go down while we’re winning souls, keep moving y’all!). But back to the point: the woman is from… Congo! Lives in the neighborhood, doesn’t know the other Congolese families. I talk to her husband, they’re freaked out to be speaking French on North Lime, and, still, so am I. He tells me that some guys from the church had already been to his house ( I think it was Roz and Shutey). Amazing! This is the stuff I have been dreaming of—having other people who visit, who meet people, who feed people, who serve people, so that when I show up they know we mean it!

No comments: