Monday, January 08, 2007

A Child's Prayer

Wow, there are just so many layers to prayer. Firday night I told Joe that Courtnay didn't feel good. Courtnay works at the church and is a favorite of the boys, altho she has for the moment been supplanted in their affections by Allison Krauss. Anyhoo, Joe stops to pray and says, "Heavenly Father, Courtnay doesn't feel good. Amen." I was immediately struck by his simple statement. He didn't ask God to do anything. He just stated the facts. A child knows something is up, but doesn't always know the answer. Joe does this in lots of areas. "I'm hot" or "I'm hungry," and then we do what seems best. BUt isn't it funny-- there's always that moment of frustration where you say, "what do you want to eat?" or "why don't you take off your coat." But what profound faith to say to God, "Courtnay's sick" and trust Him to know what's best.

Father, my children are burdened with me and my grown-up ways. Amen.

No comments: