Tuesday, July 18, 2006

The Rock Keeps Rolling

Let’s see. Melissa is getting more days off more frequently. That’s a good thing, because it means that there aren’t any serious problems with the transplant. Platelets remain the main concern. She had about 3 days off and her platelets did not dip as low as they were before even after a day, but they were still dipping. So, Dr. Herzig did another bone marrow biopsy to make sure that she is making platelets. If she is, then the spleen is destroying the platelets, and the spleen will have to come out. Not much fun to consider. One more thing. But as our friend Judy Lyon said, “at least there is ‘one more thing.’”

Melissa came to church Sunday for the 11:15 service. It was really something. Irma Rodriguez, our associate pastor, very tactfully introduced Melissa and told everyone to wave at her so she wouldn’t get mobbed after the service. Then she told an amazing story. The church has been really inspired by Melissa. First, because we came here when it would have seemed to be easier to stay in Louisville. We keep trying to say it would not have been easier; you have to go where the Lord’s work is calling you. But anyway. And then, Nelitas, Irma’s son’s mother-in-law told the family Saturday that she had a dream that Melissa would be in church. So it was a very emotional time for everyone.

At the beginning of the service, I get to sit with the congregation. So I was back there with Sissy, my mother-in-law, John, Joseph, and our friend Steve McKinney. At one point, I had my arms raised in prayer. Well, one arm. With the other hand I was holding John. He took my arm and raised it up. Immediately, I thought of one of my favorite Bible stories, in Exodus 17, where Joshua and the Israelites defeat the Amalekites. They are winning as long as Moses can hold his arms up in prayer. They start losing when he gets tired and can’t hold his arms up. So Aaron and Hur stand next to him and holdup his arms. I told John that story later, and he wanted to re-enact it. So I stood there and told him what happened, he held my arms and cheered, “We won! We won!” Then he gave me a high five. Now, what an interesting window on that story and prayer. Prayer can be life-and-death desperate. But get ready—and know how!—to rejoice!

p/g,

Aaron

No comments: