Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Fierce Invalids Home From Hot Climates

Someone (you know who you are!) was pressing me on the exclusivity of Christ. The question she asked was basically this: in some parts of the world, to confess Christ means a death sentence. What do you say to them? Is He the Way, the Truth, and the Life or not?

There's a lot to answer here, at least from my perspective. My good friend Bill Hughes has been on me to go with him to Russia, to teach in the seminary. That's fine, but what I really want to do is preach. My conversations with Norbert Itoula and Cedrick Lukonga have really been working me over about Africa, about the possibilities of connecting the refugees here with work back in Africa.

If Jesus is one way among many, why bother with evangelism, much less missions? It's not even a life or death question at this point. It's a motivation question. We'll see. I guess one thing that surprised me was that someone would give me some challenging thoughts on the exclusivity of Christ-- if you remember my time in Vegas, you'll recall I read the Gospels and found over and over again that Jesus takes His exclusivity for granted on almost every page.

Some of y'all are going to get to listen to me hash this out. Lucky you.

1 comment:

DGH said...

Your quote: "f you remember my time in Vegas, you'll recall I read the Gospels and found over and over again that Jesus takes His exclusivity for granted on almost every page."

I can't wait for this to be hashed out! Get started already!