Monday, April 16, 2007

Yesterday at The Rock La Roca

Yesterday in church was a powerful day. There were probably 60 people at the altar between the two morning services. In the second service, there was no room at the altar, so people were spread out on the floor. I had asked us simply to pray that our hearts would be broken for the people in our community who don’t know Jesus.

I have to be clear: this is in no way a response to me, nor does it rely on me. It is a response based on the Word, prayer, and the Holy Spirit. The Word is true, but people don’t always respond. The Holy Spirit draws people to come close to God, but they do not always listen. But if people listen, if they respond, it is because of the Truth of the Word and the action of the Holy Spirit.

Prayer is the tool or weapon that is in our hands. For people to respond, for hearts and minds to be open, there must be much prayer, and much praying done by people other than the preacher. I do not know all or even most of the people who are praying for the church, for me, but I know there are many. Things like there never being a Sunday when there is not at least one person who responds to an altar call—this does not happen unless there is prayer.

To all those who are praying, much thanks. In every way it is what not only keeps me and my family going, it is what keeps the church going.

No comments: