Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Walking Around Money, part 2

A few friends and some folks who will be friends read something I wrote back in January, “Walking Around Money.” They have been thinking for some time how it is that they can go deeper in their faith. One of the things that they have considered is partnering with The Rock La Roca. There are lots of needs here in the community, and it will take some time of prayer and spending time together to know how best to proceed. What we need is the human capital in other churches—people who can bring their expertise to the life of the community.

But we also have pressing material needs, and as the witness of the Early Church is that you should not go to the poor empty-handed, I try to have something available for the people I minister to.

Well, these friends in The Bible Learning and Teaching (BLT) Class at First United Methodist in Lexington blew me away today. They have decided that one Sunday a month, they are going to eat a lunch at various members’ houses and take the money they would have paid at a restaurant and give it to The Rock La Roca, for my “walking around money.”

They gave me $600. That will go a long way to minister to the needs in the community. I am so grateful and blessed that people’s hearts are moved! And I so look forward to being back around some of my old First Church buddies. They knew me when! They helped me come in to ministry. They welcomed Melissa into my life. And they keep up with us and pray for us. And because we Methodists love connection, we can work together for the glory of God in our town!

No comments: