Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Psalm 73 Duet

Melissa and I were reading Psalm 73 a few days ago. As we were reading, it struck me that it was speaking to us both, in different ways.

Melissa: “But as for me, my feet had almost slipped; I had nearly lost my foothold.”

Aaron: “For I envied the arrogant when I saw the prosperity of the wicked. They have no struggles; their bodies are healthy and strong. They are free from the burdens common to man.”

Melissa: “Surely in vain have I kept my heart pure; in vain have I washed my hands in innocence. All day long I have been plagued; I have been punished every morning… When I tried to understand all this, it was oppressive to me till I entered the sanctuary of God.”

Aaron: “When my heart was grieved and my spirit embittered, I was senseless and ignorant; I was a brute beast before you.”

Melissa: “Whom have I in heaven but you? And earth has nothing I desire besides you. My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever.”

I guess we all know that the Scriptures speak to us, and we understand that at different times we might seek this or that Scripture, or perhaps we discover that a Scripture we knew well speaks to us in a different way. Somehow, I was aware of that in a really heightened way as we read psalm 73. Melissa and I have talked before about how we may have both been touched by the same Scripture independent of each other. But it was truly awesome to be reading the same Scripture and find different parts speaking to us.

No comments: