Sunday, February 11, 2007

Meditations in the midst

I have lots of stuff to put on the blog, but I have not had access to internet for my laptop, so... And since I don't feel like typing much, I guess I'll have to wait until I get around to putting stuff up.

On Wed Feb 7, Melissa and I had a moment where we realized that we had been thinking about the same Scripture: Job 13:15, "Even though He slay me, yet will I hope in Him." There was a time in my life where I thought something like this, "I am still going to place my faith in God even if it seems like He is not treating me so well." That's kind of ham-handed, but what it amounted to was a kind fo stubbornness, some way of thinking that said, "I have no one else but God." And in the end, we find that what seemed like a curse from God was really not, more likely it was a burden being lifted.

It goes back to what Melissa has talked about, being yoked with God and knowing that when it seems the hardest and roughest, He is carrying, as He always has, the most part of the load.

And then there was yesterday when we talked about the story in Mark 2 of the paralyzed man, where his friends lower his mat thru the roof so he can get to Jesus. Jesus forgives him his sins, and only heals him later. Melissa and I were both thinking, "well, there it is, the one thing you really need, forgiveness of sins." I can't tell you how hard that hit me, to hear her, of all people, say that. If there were a choice, would I not take the healing?

Maybe Hauerwas and Willimon are right. Maybe justice is a bad idea. maybe, as Melissa pointed out from Mark 2, God's promise in Jesus is GRACE, not justice. Justice is nice, but don't look for it from men. Take God's grace and live it. I wonder: if we lived lives of grace, how much more just would our justice be?

No comments: