Saturday, December 09, 2006

No Need for Name-Calling...

In the last two weeks three different people have referred to The Rock La Roca as part of “the emerging church.” I know they meant well, but I took it hard. The only think I know about the so-called emerging church movement is from Brian McLaren, and I don’t care much for his stuff. I think it’s an attempt to soak off the vibe of some sentimental notion of the pre-medieval church. There’s a loose definition that says there are new kinds of churches “emerging” that aren’t “traditional” in the way we have tended to think about church. Fine. But the end result for me has to be that we don’t do or say anything new.

p/g

1 comment:

DGH said...

I can understand your hesitantancy Aaron about these labels. And actually there is a big difference between the labels, "emergent" and "emerging". "Emergent Inc." is what Bryan McLarian is a part of and everyone who writes books and is associated with them is probably "Emergent". Emergent (as I understand it) is focused on starting and sustaining a discussion for Christians around anything they can get discussion on it seems like, heh (but mostly church history and forcing people to discuss (insert question) their beliefs and how certain beliefs have formed over the course of history...but anyway on to "Emerging".....

"Emerging" (in the way I see it)...is pastors and churches that are done with the talking part and are trying to live it out in the way they love and care for the communities around them. (Insert La Rocka)... So, I am always quick to make sure those that attempt to label Th3 Waters know what the difference is.......but the great thing about it when peple try to do that...is it provides me an opportunity to start a discussion and tell them about what god is ding in and through us...and I normally point them to La Rocka as well if they live near you. heh heh....

anyway I saw your post and wanted you to know I have fight that fight too, but decided to use the discussions to excite and impassion others to live out their faith in their communities and beyond.... Love yall!