Saturday, September 09, 2006

John's Birthday

His name is John, meaning "God is gracious," or "God's gift," and that is very appropriate. Yesterday was his 6th birthday, and we are celebrating today. He seems very happy to hear stories from when he was a baby, like how we brought him home from the hospital, or how he liked to clunk heads in a game we call "Bulls." We still play it occasionally.

Melissa wanted to be home from the hospital in time for his birthday. You get fixated on things-- there are things (your health) that trump a birthday. Melissa thought she was going to be in the hospital thru the weekend, but she told the doctors her story and they worked hard to get her home. Maybe she went home a little early, but there were two happy boys. Through all this, John has been a rock for Joseph. It is at once touching and sad. He stands up for his brother, soothes him, lawyers for him. But somehow he has had to grow too quickly into that role. He was starting to crack a little as he wondered if Melissa was going to be in the hospital fro as long as last time. I think he got his birthday present when she came home. I wish I knew how to tell him what it means for a PET scan to be clear. I wish I knew how to push back his inevitable anxiety. I'm not much for waiting on time to do its work. The adults feel relieved, but what do you say to children?

Today has been Waffle House, wrestling, a nap (now, thankfully) and later cake and ice cream and presents, and maybe swimming. My in-laws keep saying they need to close the pool because it is too cold. We keep showing them it's not that bad. They're mine, and I guess all those years of swimming in the cold water on California's Central Coast is paying off...

I can't believe John is 6. Time flies. I used to think how cool it was going to be, to get to know him. That's a rapid-fire thing, as kids change quickly-- know more, say more, do more. Sometimes I wish you could stop them at each point, but the next points will be good, too!

2 comments:

DGH said...

It has been a hard road for me to be with yall...and you know that...and I think you from the botom of my heart for the joy of the life you have lived the past two years and the many more memories that you will make. I have never left yalls side, even though I have not been as present as I would hve liked. I love yall and thank my God uon every remembrance of yal! Your joy is my joy, and your life is God's! I live to celebrate this adventure of life with yall! You will never be far from my prayers!

DGH said...

I just realized my last comment was to the emal you sent out..and not to John's Birthday...but Happy Birthday John!!!! God love ya!